31 Oct Bi And Tri Workout
Try this Bi and Tri Workout to build some arm size! The first step to growing arms is to treat them like any other muscle group. Adding them to the end of a session just simply doesn’t suffice. By dedicating a session to arms, you give them full energy and can really pile some mass on.
I start off with heavy compounds first, and alternate between exercises, so the first exercise we’ll look to do is a reverse grip bench press.
- Lie back on a flat bench. Use a supinated grip (just outside shoulder width) and lift the bar from the rack. Hold it straight over you with your arms locked extended in front of you and perpendicular to the floor. This will be your starting position.
- As you breathe in, come down slowly until you feel the bar on your middle chest. Tip: Make sure that as opposed to a regular bench press, you keep the elbows close to the torso at all times in order to maximise triceps involvement.
- Use a 2 up 2 down rep speed for 4 sets of 6-8 reps.
Next we move onto the heaviest movement for biceps, the barbell bicep curl.
Unlike the movement shown above, we’ll use a grip slightly outside shoulder width and concentrate on the eccentric motion. We’ll look to flex the tricep in the starting position between reps and hit 4 sets in an ascending pyramid of 12 reps down to 6 reps.
After this we move on to an exercise aptly named skull crushers. They’re called this because if you dropped the bar, you’d crush your skull, quite simply.
The key for this movement is to keep the elbows tucked in and to keep your wrists in a neutral position. By doing so you keep tension on your tricep. We’ll look to complete 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Next we move onto an exercise that looks at slightly different muscle groups to a standard curl. The alternating hammer curl.
Again in this exercise we’ll look to flex the tricep at the bottom of the rep, keep the elbows tucked in and move slightly outside shoulder width with dumbbells. Don’t be afraid to really push some weight here. We’re looking to hit 3 sets of 8-10 reps again.
Our final tricep exercise is the rope tricep extension. Keep the elbows tucked in and flare out with a flick at the bottom of the rep to really hit the head of the tricep. We’ll hit 3 sets of 10-12 reps on this exercise.
Our final exercise and final bicep exercise is the preacher curl. We do this to build the bicep peak, which makes it look great from a back double bicep position. Slow controlled eccentric motions are where we grow here and as this is your last exercise, leave it all in the gym! Don’t be afraid to push yourself. Eccentric motions are important here, 3-4 seconds down and 2 seconds up for 3 sets of 8 reps. We can then drop set to really burn out.
Bi And Tri Workout Overview
- Reverse Grip Bench Press – 4 sets – 6-8 reps
- Barbell Bicep Curl – 4 sets – Ascending Pyramid – 12/10/8/6
- Skull crushers – 3 sets – 8-10 reps
- Hammer curls – 3 sets – 8-10 reps
- Rope cable tricep extension – 3 sets – 10-12 reps
- Preacher curl – 3 sets – 8 reps